Saturday, January 5, 2013

20 Days of WoW Blogging Challenge - Day 3

Day 03 – Your first day playing WoW

I had no idea what I was getting myself into the day that I decided to download WoW and start playing. I have a very close friend that had been telling me about WoW for years now and one day I found that there was a "free" downloadable trial for WoW, so I decided to take the plunge. I had thought about getting into the game for years, however the computer I use to play WoW is a netbook and does not have a CD drive that you can use to load programs onto it. So when I found the link to Blizzard for the "free" trial, I was in luck.

Naming Troubles

So the first thing I had to do was create a name for my new "toon". As I have mentioned before, I played Rune Scape (RS) for years and I played the same toons for all those years. I wanted a name that didn't have numbers in it (I don't believe that names with numbers are allowed in WoW) and I was not very creative, so I came up with "Blueeyedbabe" a Blood Elf hunter.

I rolled on the same server as my friend and I picked the Blood Elf since I liked the way she looked. The hunter was chosen since I saw that there was this flying dragon behind her in the creation screen that looked like the Fire Lizards I loved so much from the Dragonriders of Pern Series.

WASD - Or How the heck do I move?

Got into the world and had no clue on how to move my toon in the world. RS uses the mouse for essentially all of the game-play and I had no clue that the keyboard was to be used in WoW to move. I had a huge learning curve ahead of me! I finally figured out how to go forward and move left and right, but it was a long time before I learned how to go underwater or jump out of the water using the space key.

Yes I was a Huntard!!!

My poor first toon, I accidentally got her fire lizard killed and I didn't know that I could revive the poor golden lizard, so for a while I was a pet less hunter. Not very efficient!  Also I did not understand the action bars at all. In RS, the fighting mechanic is so simplistic...click on the mob, stand there and if all goes well, wait for it to die.If you are low on your health in RS, you simply click on the food to eat while in combat. Spells and eating after fights were a complete mystery to me. I don't know how many times I died, but let me assure you that it was quite a few.

Azeroth is Beautiful

The Blood Elf starting zone is a beautiful zone. In fact, it is still among my favorite starting zones for the amazing scenery and music. I just re-rolled a new blood elf, and I now recall how incredible the music in that zone is. One of my favorite parts of the music is when you travel on Dawning Lane, it reminded me of a classical music piece that for the life of me I cannot recall the name. The buildings and floating planters were simply mystical and magical. The graphics for WoW are light years ahead of those in RS. RS is a browser based game, there are no CDs or downloads to your computer, and the graphics as such are not nearly as complex as those in WoW.

Free Trial to Full Account

While I did struggle in that first day, and I continue to struggle with some aspects of WoW game play, I knew that day that I was hooked! I planned on getting my subscription started that very night. I started a different toon (well, truth be told - 2 toons - I am an Altoholic) and began to level her. I deleted "Blueeyedbabe" shortly after rolling a Tauren Druid on the same server. I bought all the expacs and I haven;t had a moment of regret since starting my travels in the world of Azeroth.

No comments:

Post a Comment